Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My father had an irrevocable trust trust. It includes 18

Customer Question

My father had an irrevocable trust trust . It includes 18 acres and a home . My sister is the executor . All three of my siblings signed papers to dissolve the trust two days after my father passed in june2015 . I refused and still refuse to sign . What happens now ?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
An irrevocable trust means just that, it cannot be revoked. The only way a trust can be revoked is by agreement of all trust beneficiaries and the trustee AND THEN A COURT ORDER. So, if you did not agree to dissolve the trust, based on it no longer serving the intended purpose, the trustee can go to court to try to dissolve and you have to object in court and present evidence as to how the trust is still serving the intended purposes it was set up for by the grantor of the trust.