Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Is Illinois the same as California. Can an elderly relative

Customer Question

Is Illinois the same as California. Can an elderly relative be declared incompetent by two Doctors? Or is there a legal process that is required?
Thank you,
Steve Graver
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to helpwith your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

In either state, the declaration of "medical incompetency" by two doctors is just a step in the "legal incompetency" process as only a probate court judge can issue an order declaring someone incompetent. So the two doctors issuing their opinions wouldn't serve to make someone legally incompetent.

.

But their opinions or testimony could be used in a guardianship proceeding by someone filing a petition to become guardian to have the person declared incompetent and then avoid any legal contracts that they entered into after the doctors deemed them medically incompetent.

.

So the doctors determination is only part of the legal incompetency process in either state, but doesn't definitively make someone legally incompetent standing alone.

.

.

thanks