How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the will of my grandfather, can my father who is the

Customer Question

In the will of my grandfather, can my father who is the executor take money designated for a grandson (me and my siblings) and give it to another individual (my aunts)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To put it bluntly, no, he cannot. A 'specific bequest' can only go to the person, party, or entity designated or go toward expenses of the will if the general estate amounts are not enough to cover costs. But the executor must honor the wishes of the will if the terms do not violate state or federal law--and he cannot transfer gifts or assets to someone not designated in the will to receive them.


Dimitry, Esq.

Related Estate Law Questions