Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

Estate lawyers: estate lawyer, previously worked with re

Customer Question

estate lawyers:
estate lawyer, previously worked with re mother's 709 filing and other family and business matters, also a client with brokerage account since 1980. when father died 3/24/08 chose to use same attorney for filing 706. I formed a family foundation, bidding on the fee. I received bids from two estate attorneys for $ 3,000 to $ 4,000. I chose the same attorney because quoted me a price of $3500 and knew the family.
During this time, I received two separate bills over several years for the 706 and the foundation. During this time, I did pay toward the 706 bill.
I have not adjusted to the death of my father e.g. I haven't sold his homes( I pay maintence and taxes on these homes, which are not rented )I haven't installed a tombstone at the cemetary ( would be closure that my father died )
THE QUESTION:
In 2013, the attorney said I had to pay towards his work.
I wote a check for $ 15,000 payable to the law firm and in the memo i wrote estate of J. Gunther. I have a copy of this check.
The lawyer paid the bill for the foundation approximately $9000 and the estate $6000.
IS THIS LEGAL ? to divide the check between the estate and the foundation ?
1. I would not have paid that much when I had been given a quote from him of $3500
2. I spoke to the lawyer about this and said he could do this" because the estate and the foundation are one and the same." again, my question is IS THIS LEGAL ?
I have additional questions rewgarding my situation with this lawyer but would like to know the answer to this question. Please write or call me (xxx) xxx-xxxx with the answer. O if you write over the weekend my address is***@******.***
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.

I'm confused by the fact that the agreed upon fee for the estate was $3,500, yet you wrote a check for $15k and marked it "for estate of ..." Can you provide some clarification as to what you were thinking at the time?

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
HELLO AGAIN. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, I believe that I can better assist you through our 'additional services' feature. An offer for that will follow this. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
attn Irwin Law Irwin, pls e-mail me at***@******.*** i would like to write you from this address e-mail me if you receive this thx
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.

You have not accepted my offer of additional services. I am not permitted to go forward with direct contact until you do so. We are on the same time and I'm heading for bed. I will be back on line sometime tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
or call me (xxx) xxx-xxxx.
I know there is a charge for a phone call how much time can we talk ?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
We are probably going to spend 30 - 45 minutes.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
I received a message that you requested additional help. I sent you the offer for direct contact, but you haven't accepted it yet. It is called Additional Services and there is an ACCEPT button that you can click on. As soon as you do, I will send you my contact information.