How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9912
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is inherited property subject to community property laws in

Customer Question

is inherited property subject to community property laws in California
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
My goal is to provide great service - if you have any questions, please ask. A follow up consult with a personal attorney is always recommended. A few minutes please as I look into this for you.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
770. (a) Separate property of a married person includes all of the
(1) All property owned by the person before marriage.
(2) All property acquired by the person after marriage by gift,
bequest, devise, or descent.
(3) The rents, issues, and profits of the property described in
this section.
(b) A married person may, without the consent of the person's
spouse, convey the person's separate property.
so according to subsection 2, inherited property is the heir's separate property.
This can change if it is commingled- i.e. mixed with community property to the point that no tracing can be done, or if real estate is purchased with the proceeds and community funds are used to pay down the loan, or the deed is in both spouses' names.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to locate an attorney:
Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,
kindly rate positively
as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

Related Estate Law Questions