How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41013
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited from my parents house with my 3 brothers one

Customer Question

I inherited from my parents house with my 3 brothers one brother moved in can I charge him rent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.I am unable to do a phone call as I am at the courthouse.Let me try to help you via email.

Here you absolutely can charge rent.If rent is charged here it helps defray the costs of taxes, insurance, and upkeep.It is very reasonable to charge rent while he lives there.Also you have a right to file a partition suit or threaten one if he will not pay rent.A partition suit is a court ordered sale of the property.Anytime there is joint ownership this is a potential remedy if the brother will not agree to pay rent.This may be the long term solution to get your share of the house sale.

But it is more than reasonable for the brother to pay rent here, in fact it should be resolved prior to brother moving in or as soon as you can.If he will not agree to this then a suit for partition is the next step here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

I will send you additional services for email follow up for all your questions in lieu of a phone call.

Related Estate Law Questions