Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I received an inheritance and put it joint tenants. Getting

Customer Question
a divorce. is the inheritance...
I received an inheritance and put it joint tenants. Getting a divorce. is the inheritance marital property, or non in the state of missouri
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
8/8/2015
Estate Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

In community property states, normally inheritance is separate property and upon divorce will stay with the party that received the inheritance. When such inheritance is commingled then it moves from separate property to community property. When the property was placed in a joint tenancy then it was commingled and thus became community property. Unfortunately the property is most likely community property due to commimgling and subject to division to your spouse.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Did you have any further questions? If not please positively rate my answer should the site will give me credit for my answer.
Do you need help with the rating system? We answer these questions with the expectation that our work will be compensated by the site. Without your positive rating that won't happen, so if you could take the extra step and help me out, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney