How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118201
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Denbury Resources, Inc., received my reply to the unclaimed

Customer Question

Denbury Resources, Inc., received my reply to the unclaimed property letter that was sent on my mother and brother which informed them that both were deceased at this time. Denbury's response was a proof of heirship forms that are complicated, affidavit must be completed by someone who will not inherit from the property. 1. the affidavit must be signed and witness by two unrelated individuals and must be notarized, several times it must also be recorded in the county where the property is located. Do not send a copy of the affidavit they will only record the original affidavit which is to be sent to the mobile county courthouse, in Mobile Alabama. I have both death certificates on my mother and bother, I also have birth certificates on my brother showing proof that she was our mother and the lot certificates on the properties. I am not sure how to go forward in the situation, can you help me, I have no trust or confidence in the Denbury.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, we cannot fill out these for you, that is prohibited by state law.
You can however, get a friend or another relative to complete the affidavit and you would file it in the probate court where your parents died and send them the stamped copy of the form. That is really your option here if you want to collect the money.
Denbury is a reputable company by all reports and they have not been reported as a scam. If you want the money, you need to comply with the affidavit though and send it to them as requested.