Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My grandfather died intestate in 1971 (North Dakota), but

Customer Question
had mineral acres. My...
my grandfather died intestate in 1971 (North Dakota), but had mineral acres. My father took the mineral acres his father left him and sold them in 1987. My question is how could he sell his father's minerals if the will was never probated? Now, my dad's sister is the executor and my grandfather and grandmother's wills are being probated. My grandmother died in 2006 and my father died in 1997, all intestate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
Hunt Oil has set down a pad for an oil well on the land. My father sold his portion in 1987. We are talking about a lot of money. This is why I am confused that my father could sell this land when we are probating my grandfather's estate NOW, then my grandmother is next. My father died before his mother.
8/7/2015
Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Hello and Welcome! My name is***** am a licensed attorney. I have assisted hundreds of others with their legal questions. I am happy to help you!
You say two conflicting facts. Your grandfather died intestate, which means there was no will. Then, you say you are probating the estate, which implies there was a Will. Which is it?
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney