How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33474
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When loved one dies and I notify social security do they

Customer Question

When loved one dies and I notify social security do they also need a death certificate I was told my funeral home can take care of that these days and ss did not tell me to send one is that correct am confused
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
My condolences for your loss.
The funeral home will provide you death certificates. Contact the deceased's bank to report the death. Banks require proof of death, such as a certified death certificate. Ask the bank to return any money deposited in the account from Social Security from the month after the beneficiary's death forward. Social Security is one month behind, so if the person died in March, the benefit from March would be paid in April. Since the person died in March, you must return the money received in April for March.
If SSA requested a death certificate then send it.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?