How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am adopted April 2 1946 my adopted father died 1985 left

Customer Question

I am adopted April 2 1946 my adopted father died 1985 left me $20,0000 I was informed by my adopted mother. She did not give me the 20,0000 she said she would give it to an organization I would approve of in my adopted fathers name. I just accidentally found on my computer my adopted mothers address and phone number. Do I have a right to the 20,0000? she has her house up for sale over 300,0000. She is 96 lives in southern Calf.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, was there a will or any other documentation stating that you were entitled to receive the funds, or are you simply going by what your adopted mother stated? Please advise.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
going by what adopted mother said don't know anything else
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.


The reason I ask is two-fold. First, there is a bit of a misconception that children are entitled to an inheritance (by this I include all children, whether biological or adopted because the law does not make a differentiation between the two). That is not true, children are not automatically entitled--they are entitled only if there is no will and therefore state law applies. Second, typically spouses inherit first, so even if there is no will, depending on the size of the estate, the surviving spouse may still end up receiving most if not all of the estate. That is why you need to contact the probate county court where your parent lived--if there is a will on file, you can get a copy of it from them and see if you were entitled to something. If you were, and you just found out that you were not given what you were supposed to receive, you can then attempt to pursue it now and see if you can finally get what it is you are entitled to receive.


Dimitry, Esq.

Related Estate Law Questions