How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To try to make a long story short. My 92 year Granny recently

Customer Question

To try to make a long story short. My 92 year Granny recently died, while she was living I was her POA.
I was listed as beneficiary on a few small policies.
She has a Will as follows:
1. Giving all personal and household effect as follows “To Me, “all of my tangible items such as my furniture, jewelry, clothing, monies”.
2. Giving her entire residuary estate “To Me”
3. Appointing “Me” as her Personal Representative to serve without bond.
Done and witness on July 6, 2001
I been told I need to get a court order to be her Personal Representative so I can continue to handle her affairs, such as paying utilities bills, and dealing with the entire household items. Etc.
This is all new to me.
Please explain why a court order is needed?
Can you tell me what form needs to be filed? (State of Colorado)
Is it necessary to retain a lawyer?
FYI – only asset is her home which she did a reverse mortgage on approximately 7 years ago. The household material items, I don’t anticipate a large amount.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
My condolences on the recent loss of your grandmother. It sounds like you were very close to her. Getting a court order via probate to administer the decedent's estate really depends on what makes up the estate assets. Very often, assets can be transferred to the proper heirs and beneficiaries without an estate proceeding. The personal property has no title and it is usually passed along physically, and that is the end of it. The home is different. The reverse mortgage must now be paid in full. You will have to refinance it and that can be tricky at this point. It may also be sold to pay off the loan, but that will usually require an estate proceeding. I will be happy to answer follow up questions or engage in direct contact if that is better for you. there is an additional charge for that, but it is entirely optional. It is much easier to explain estate procedure and options to it by speaking directly.