How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42233
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed iand He resided in VA i live in OH. At the

Customer Question

My father passed iand He resided in VA i live in OH. At the time of death my aunt lived with him, and after his death went and obtained a small affadavit form from the clerk of courts and cleaned his bank account out (at least the one i know of). Since their was no will she should not have been able to do this. I contacted the bank and was advised she did not list any heirs on the small affidavit form and it was nothing I could do. It was about 2400 in the account. After that i just washed my hands of her as to get an attorney would cost more money and time i dont have. But my father owned the house they lived in and she now stays in. How and what can i do about figuring out what was in his name? What properties he owned? What assets he had that would go to his heirs?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.You would start with the county clerk in the county he deceased deed records to see if anything is currently in his name.You can also check for any probate that was filed concerning the house.There may pr may not be probate.If probate was not filed concerning the house then you may choose to make application yourself and claim the property.You will need a local lawyer to make application and be named executor.As executor then you can sell the property to the heirs as part of probate.Any legal fees, court costs, etc are paid by the estate after sale of the property. You may be able to do some searching for records here online. Circuit courts here would have probate try online first. I think an online search here is faster for you and then use the county clerk as a fall back if you have no luck. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up. Lawyer referral if you ind assets..