Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

How do I get out of a irrevocable trust in michigan

Customer Question

how do I get out of a irrevocable trust in michigan
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Is this a trust that you are a grantor of or simply a beneficiary? A trustee? Why do you want to get away from the trust?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
beneficiary to gain control and knowledge of my total assets
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when my father passed I did not completely understand this trust it was set up without my knowing until after it was over.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. It will depend on the trust language whether you can terminate the trust. If the trust provides that you have the power to terminate the trust and liquidate this assets, then you can of course terminate the trust at will. If the trust provides that it terminates when you reach a certain age then it will not terminate until that time. Some trusts may be set up to stay in place for a long time and in that case you will not be able to terminate until that specific point in time. If you simply want to know what your assets are then you can ask the trustee for an accounting. There could be terms set up to allow you large distributions as well, normally at the discretion of the trustee. In that case you will need to speak to the trustee. What it boils down to, is you need to read your trust or retain an attorney to do it for you to ascertain your rights and powers under the trust. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my work. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)
Jut checking back in, please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Any chance for a positive rating?