Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My brother and I co-own a house that we inherited from our

Customer Question

My brother and I co-own a house that we inherited from our parents. My brother lives next door to the house and has made some costly repairs to it without consulting me beforehand. We have owned the house for two years now and I have paid my half of the
property taxes and I am giving him money to pay my half the utilities and insurance. He is now very angry with me and is demanding I pay for a portion of the repairs that I knew nothing about until after the fact. Am I obligated by law to pay this money to
him?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..If you never agreed to pay for any of the repairs, then he can't force you to do so. In the absence of an explicit agreement, brother can't unilaterally impose an obligation on you to pay for repairs that he chose to make to the property..If the house was sold and the repairs were necessary to maintain or increase its value, then he would have a claim for reimbursement for the cost of the repairs under an "unjust enrichment" claim...thanksBarrister