How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37386
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the POA my parents. They live in NY and I live

Customer Question

I am the POA for both my parents. They live in NY and I live in VA. They cannot drive anymore so they are letting a cousin of mine use thier car for her personal use as long as she does errands for them. My parents are paying for the insurance and upkeep of the car. My question is, am I liable if she gets in a bad accident. My parents house has been in my name for 20 years. Thanks. Mary
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..No, a POA holder just has the legal authority to act on behalf of the grantor of that power if they choose to do so. But they have no legal liability for the grantor if the grantor was sued or incurred some type of liability or debt..So they share power with the grantor of the POA, but do not have any legal liability...thanksBarrister

Related Estate Law Questions