Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

MY RECENTLY DECEASED HUSBAND OWNED SEVERAL PIECES OF

Customer Question

MY RECENTLY DECEASED HUSBAND OWNED SEVERAL PIECES OF PROPERTY IN FLORIDA. NONE HAVE MY NAME ON THEM. HE HAS A VACANT LOT IN MILLVILLE, FLORIDA. IF I WANTED TO DONATE IT TO A CHURCH WHAT WOULD I HAVE TO DO? ALSO HE HAS 2 TREE FARMS IN TEXAS. WHAT IS NEEDED
FOR ME TO PUT THEM IN MY NAME
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping. You will first need to file a probate petition in the probate court in the county in which you and your husband resided to have the court appoint you as the executor of his estate. The court will issue you documentation evidencing that appointment and that gives you the authority to act on behalf of his estate. You'll then want to sign a quit claim deed on behalf of the estate transferring title to each property. Each deed needs to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. With regard to the property in Texas, you'll need to take an additional step because the property is in another state. This step is called an ancillary probate proceeding. An ancillary probate proceeding basically piggy backs off the probate proceeding in Florida to give you the authority to transfer title to Texas real property. And, let me tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your husband. I know this must be a very difficult time for you. I will keep you in my prayers.