Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

Can I charge my brother of theft if He empty out our joint bank account and closed it with

Customer Question

Can I charge my brother of theft if He empty out our joint bank account and closed it without my knowledge/ I have proof that part of the deposit was taken from my checking account. I have not check the account since then because I trusted him. We are supposed to touch the fund only when our last parent passed away. My mom passed away recently. When I visited the bank, I was told there was no such account anymore.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
You might be able to pursue a civil suit to recover some of the money that was in the account. That would be based on contract law. Since your brother's name was on the account, there would be no ground to pursue criminal charges of theft.
I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
HELLO AGAIN. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.