How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41516
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse is under hospice care and will pass away in a day

Customer Question

My spouse is under hospice care and will pass away in a day or two. What happens to the money in his personal bank account,both checking and savings. I am his only heir but he got too ill too quickly to give me power of attorney and I don't have a clue as to what to expect.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this.
The banks would freeze the accounts if they are in his name.If you can add your name as named beneficiary or payable on death you can avoid this funds would pass to you.
Otherwise you will need a local probate lawyer to make application for probate and to be appointed personal representative of his estate.
This is court supervised here since there is no will or at least you do not state that there is one..
Once appointed here , you receive letters of administration from the court.These allow you to have access to funds to pay creditors, taxes, etc as part of estate administration.Expect the process to take about a year here start to finish.
Here is lawyer referral with ratings, plug in your city here in PA to get ones near you.
I would consider a lawyer now , make some calls , schedule an appointment.If the spouse here is able you can get the right of survivorship forms from the bank, otherwise you need to start probate as soon as you can .
Thanks again.I appreciate the chance to help.I know that this can be so overwhelming.

Related Estate Law Questions