Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My ex-boyfriend of 18 years died owing me a lot of money, when

Customer Question

My ex-boyfriend of 18 years died owing me a lot of money, when he was in the hospital he signed over power of attorney to me to file 3 years in back taxes so I could get the refund, but he died before I had a chance to do it, I filed the taxes but now cannot get the refunds, he did not have an "estate" so did not have a will or need an executor, how do I sue to get those funds, along with an Alaska state dividend check he had me file for the same purpose?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
how much are you owed?is there an estate? assets in the estate? Is there a promissory note?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He had no assets, no estate, died after years of medical problems, he owed me at least $10,000 in past rent and cash lent and while I was caring for him and he was living with me after a surgery I ended up being evicted from my apartment because he could not work and pay rent, there was no promisarry note, but acknowledged many times in front of many people the tremendous debt, that was why he signed the power of attorney so I could collect his past due taxes, but died sooner than expected and I couldn't collect.
Where deceased your recourse would be to sue the estate.
If no estate or assets I do not see that as a viable option.
if owed tax refunds you could write to tax authorities as his creditor and see if they will compromise.