How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California. My friend lived with me a year

Customer Question

I live in California. My friend lived with me for over a year with Cancer. He went to Washington, D. C. and died there. He left an automobile on my property and its been six months since his death. My friend said verbally that I can have the car, but the executor refuses to talk to me. What are my options for this automobile without a pink slip and death certificate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are named in the will of your friend (if your friend had a will) then you have a right to the car. If not it will pass according to the will to someone else or by intestate succession (which will not pass to you). An oral agreement with no money exchanged will not be binding. You should send correspondence asking to the executor asking him/her to remove the car from your land. If this does not work you can call the police to report an abandoned vehicle if you control the property that it rests on (i.e. you lease or own the driveway it's parked on). The police will impound the vehicle and can fine the last registered owner for costs + $100. This is probably not what you want from the situation but minus the rightful owner from the will gifting the car to you, there is not much you can do in this situation to receive title to the car. Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Like I said in the previous answer, your options with regard to the automobile are to speak with the executor of your friends estate, speak to whoever receives the car through the will of your friend, or speak to the authorities to get the car off your property. Was your other question in regard to receiving the car as your property or how to dispose of the car off your property?
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Are you still around? I think we had a misunderstanding.