Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My mother died Feb. 2015. She had no will that I am aware

Customer Question

My mother died Feb. 2015. She had no will that I am aware of. Two life insurance policies named my siblings and I as beneficiaries and we each received our equal share. The only money or assets of any kind she had are as follows: 1) what remained in her checking account (I held POA prior to her death) . A check for the balance made out to me was sent to me. 2) two small CD's were cashed in. That check was also made out to me. 3) a refund of the partial month's rent of the assisted living facility. That check was made out to "The estate of ____". Total amount of these three: $6916.55. She owed money in excess of this amount. One credit card company has turned this over to collection. I have not contacted the collection agency as yet. She may owe money to the IRS, as well, but I have not gotten to the bottom of that yet.
What should I do? How do I know if/who/what to pay? Am I required to pay?There is no estate bank account, no will. When required to do so I submitted a "small estate affidavit" ( state of Virginia)
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Policies and accounts pass to the named beneficiaries on account/policy.
The small estate affidavit is meant for these situationsand creditors are left to write off the debt.