How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7416
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cousin has asked her trustee accounting and the trustee (n

Customer Question

My cousin has asked her trustee for an accounting and the trustee said yes. The trustee promised all tax returns the next week, Well. it has been over 2 months. My cousin emails for these documents daily. But now they sent her a threatening letter,stating they are going to reduce her monthly beneficiary checks by thousands of dollars.Trustee threatened cousin stating he will charge her with untrue felony, if cousin continues. My cousin attempted to get a recently divorced, homeless CPA to make some sense of this,and CPA went to trustee meeting. But according to business data, the CPA and trustee are now in business. CPA says she will not do accounting anymore because trustee seems "religious", but still tries to charge my cousin thousands of dollars.Trustee takes much more from cousins trust, than cousin gets.Trustee cheats IRS and takes cousins profits of trust and pretends there are none. Does cousin need forensic accountant or what is cousin supposed to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Does cousin need forensic accountant or what is cousin supposed to do?Let me see if I understand this. Rather than obtain the services of a practicing probate and trust lawyer to review an accounting from the trustee, your cousin badgered the trustee until the trustee retaliated by threatening her with legal action andcutting her Income. Then, your cousin hired a homeless CPA, who proceeded to go into business with the trustee and dropped your cousin like a bad habit. Nevertheless, cousin continues to pay the CPA thousands of dollars for services. Cousin is asking whether or not she needs a forensic accountant. No, she needs a lawyer the sooner the better. Moreover, cousin doesn't sound like she has it all together upstairs, and should probably seek counseling for that problem too. I wish her the best of luck in getting things straightened out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually, your scenario is not possible because the trustee is a lawyer, You also have the sequence of events wrong because my cousin hired a recently divorced CPA before this. Cousin did not know CPA was homeless.Cousin later found out that CPA and Trustee went into a business arrangement, so cousin would not get accounting.Since no services were rendered, cousin did not pay CPA. Cousin requested accounting from trustee and trustee said this would be done in 1 week or less. Now it is over 2 months. You seem to blame my cousin ,the victim, and side with the illegal actions that have been done because you appear to believe that requesting what is legally my cousins rights, amounts to "badgering" and as such she deserves to be threatened and have her monies stolen. Is your area of expertise mental health, or did you learn this from watching an infomercial on your lunch hour? What exactly are your credentials? Do you have any sort of diploma?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
I told you point blank that your cousin needs a probate and trust lawyer, not a CPA, forensic or otherwise. You responded by saying that is "...not possible because the trustee is a lawyer." Wow, what a ridiculous statement that is. You don't know enough to challenge lawyers on probate questions. If you are really interested in helping your cousin, then get (her) off the internet and into the office of a good local attorney who can intervene with the trustee and actually get something done for her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You dont know enough. except to type answers that do not make logical sense. Cousin lives in a very small town where it is unheard of for lawyers to go against each other. Even in big towns, lawyers will not do this. They need each other in court. etc. Actually, the court recommended the CPA by name. So, are you also calling the court ridiculous?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
I am finished with this question. Good luck to your cousin. With you "helping" her, she'll need it.