How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33055
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In California, fathered died recently. There is a living trust, but a written revo

Customer Question

Hi -
In California, fathered died recently. There is a living trust, but a written revocation of the pour over will. The condo (underwater) and a life insurance policy are in the trust. There are back taxes, educational loan, and other debts that far exceed any amount of money that would be available in probate.
After going through probate are the taxes (on a payment plan), educational loan and other debts considered settled, or can they go after the money in the living trust? Will I, the only child be responsible for any of those debts, if he personally signed for them, after probate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
My condolences for your loss.
Children are not responsible for the debts of their parents absent a written agreement to the contrary signed by the child.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.