How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55294
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 87 year old Mother stays with me months her permanant

Customer Question

My 87 year old Mother stays with me for 6 months her permanant address is Highland ,N.Y.she is here in Virginia and wants to do a power of attorney now do I print out a ny one or va.since the notery will be here in va. ty
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
She can do the POA in VA. It will be honored in NY under the U.S. full faith and credit laws which provide that one state honors the contracts and documents of another state. When you are seeking a POA to be honored in different states, it's always a good idea to have it witnessed by two independent witnesses and notarized. Even if you do a NY form, it can be notarized in VA. It makes no difference in which state the POA is actually signed, witnessed, and notarized in terms of its enforceability.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Estate Law Questions