How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Aunt had a stroke last month and is recovering but is also

Customer Question

My Aunt had a stroke last month and is recovering but is also caregiver for my uncle who has dementia. He is currently staying with his daughter but my aunt has concerns and would like to formally appoint her sister as power of attorney for medical and financial decisions going forward. How do we accomplish this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
was your aunt appointed as a poa or guardian by him? by the court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
how then? just started caring for him? If so, she cannot make the appointment. only he could. If he lacks mental capacity to appoint, then you would need to file application in court for a guardian to be appointed over him. Normally handled by an estate lawyer locally. is a good resource for finding someone to file that motion. Is that clear and acceptable?