How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42247
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am fiduciary to my grandsons inheritance; I live in VT but

Customer Question

I am fiduciary to my grandsons inheritance; I live in VT but he lives in CT. My question is his farther worked with his farther of a Corp. When my grandson's grandfather retired I found a lean from the State of CT reading that is written as taxes arising under chapter(s) 229,219 on described parcel(s) of land together with and building or improvements thereon, recorded in the name of: then it gives my grandsons fathers name and in prentices it reads (Corp.OFF of Mitchell & Bailey Inc.) in land records of
Bridgeport, CT. This company went bankrupt several years ago. My question is; is my grandsons old condo that his father left him; responsible for this debt? The address where my grandson lives and did live with his farther for many years is in Bridgeport but the address is not mentioned in the lean other than Debtor(s) mail address. in the lower left hand corner. I believe this belongs to the Corp. and not his fathers personal condo.
I am 70 years old and never had to do this before; I want to make sure I am doing it right. He won't have enough money to take care of this tax lien and the condo is old and not worth more than 35 thousand and the lien is for 26 thousand. any help you could give me I would so appreciate.
Thank you
Grandma in VT
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today. Here it is possible that this lien clouds title to the property.It is recorded in the deed records here if the father owned title at the time of the lien it attached to the property.Here the only legal way to remove this would be to resolve it with the state. I would contact the state of Connecticut to see if they would negotiate a reduction given your circumstances.You may be able to resolve this for much less than the amount of the lien.It never hurts to try here otherwise as you say it is more than it is worth and you can explain that to them. Why not contact them with the information you have as fiduciary and see if you can resolve it for much lesser amount. You dial the number and press 0. This is likely a valid lien on the property and will need to be resolved here to have a release and cleared title. I wish I could tell you otherwise.The state may be able to reduce this for you and agree to resolve for a lesser amount once you explain the situation. As the fiduciary you should at least try to resolve the lien here if you can do so on the cheap. Here is the contact information. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: To reach CONN-TAX, the DRS tax information line, call 1-***-***-**** (in-state) or(###) ###-#### ***** tone callers have six choices:Information on the status of your income tax refund (Press 1)*Recorded income tax information (Press 2)*Order forms and publications (Press 3)*Information on a billing notice or past due return (Press 4)Information on Tax Amnesty (Press 5)*Speak with a Taxpayer Services representative (8:30a.m.-4:30p.m.) (Press 0)I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again and the best to you here. I hope you are having a great fourth of July weekend .
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
I am here if you have more please just ask.