originallawyer
originallawyer, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in writing wills and probating estates in a variety of ways.
74576488

Father's estate has been in probate 10 years in

Customer Question

Father's estate has been in probate for almost 10 years in Michigan. Original estate attorney passed away in December 2014. His office passed it to another attorney in January. Signed documents to pass information to her. Only one outstanding issues which involves IRS. It's been six months and no progress. Can I hire a Texas attorney to light a fire with these new Michigan estate attorney?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
You could always hire a Texas attorney to represent you as an heir here in Texas, but honestly, there's not much they could do if the estate is being probated in MI, and not many attorneys are going to want to take on the job of babysitting an attorney out of state.
Unless your attorney in Texas is licensed in MI or can gain pro hac vice access, their influence will be limited by state licensing issues. You'd have to weigh the cost of hiring them against the fact that all they're really going to be able to do is write a letter or make a phone call inquiring as to how the process is going. I'm rather surprised a Judge hasn't weighed in on the length of time this is taking.