Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband and I own a house together and recently had an addition…

Customer Question
My husband and I own...
My husband and I own a house together and recently had an addition put on the house. I funded our entire down payment with $40,000 I received from a legal settlement for lifetime impacting injuries I incurred in a car accident I was in with a drunk driver who fled the scene of the accident. It is my understanding that in Texas this is separate property and the equal amount of our home value is entirely mine rather than shared with my husband. Our house has appreciated significantly and more than the cost of the addition we added, remodeling, etc. Am I correct? If I am, can I transfer this equal value of the home to my son, currently a minor if I die regardless of whether my husband and I separate or divorce before my son reaches 18 if I die before then? Can my parents share the title of the home with my husband or in the future possibly ex husband for the purpose of guaranteeing my beneficiary desires be fulfilled? Same question for inherited money paying for our addition?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
7/1/2015
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature; and (C) There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.
I am going to assume that both of your names are ***** ***** title. Please let me know if this is not true.
It is my understanding that in Texas this is separate property and the equal amount of our home value is entirely mine rather than shared with my husband.
No, incorrect. The property remains community property. While the money from a settlement is separate (with the exception of the party that is for lost wages), once the money is put towards a community asset, then it simply becomes part of that community property.
If you were to divorce, then the Court CAN grant you an additional equalizing payment from community property for the money invested into the community assets that benefited both of you. But that is about it.
If I am, can I transfer this equal value of the home to my son, currently a minor if I die regardless of whether my husband and I separate or divorce before my son reaches 18 if I die before then?
No. Only in a divorce does this become an issue. Otherwise, the property stays community property, and there is no way to "split off part of this" to give to your child.
Can my parents share the title of the home with my husband or in the future possibly ex husband for the purpose of guaranteeing my beneficiary desires be fulfilled?
If you are on the title, then you can ADD your parents to the title - yes. However, he may have to agree, and if there is a mortgage, it gets even more complicated.
Same question for inherited money paying for our addition?
The same answer applies.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.