Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

IF A MASSACHUSETTS SENIOR ON MEDICAID DIES, HOW CAN SHE SAFEGUARD…

Customer Question
IF A MASSACHUSETTS SENIOR ON...
IF A MASSACHUSETTS SENIOR ON MEDICAID DIES, HOW CAN SHE SAFEGUARD HER HOUSE FROM THE STATE TAKING OWNERSHIP, EVEN THOUGH SHE HAS A JOINT TENANCY WITH HER BROTHER?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
Does Mass.have a MERP program to recover past medicaid benefits
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.Here MA does have estate recovery but it would not be able to touch a joint tenancy with right of survivorship.The property here passes outside probate the estate recovery focuses on making claims against probated assets. Since the property here passes directly like life insurance or other POD bank accounts then MA estate recovery has no claim or way to claim it. Reference. http://www.southshoreelderlaw.com/jointly-held-assets-in-massachusetts-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.html This would not be a problem here if you have a joint tenancy with right of survivorship it passe to your brother if he survives you by deed rather than probate. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
I appreciate the chance to provide you information tonight.
Thanks..