Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My aunt started an insurance policy brother and named

Customer Question

My aunt started an insurance policy for my brother and named my grandmother as the beneficiary. My aunt and grandmother paid on the policy for approximately 2 years and I took over the policy and have paid the premiums approximately 20 years. I was told everything was transferred over to me when I began paying. My brother died last month and I learned that my grandmother remained as the beneficiary when I thought everything had been transferred over to me. Because of the mix up I thought my grandmother would sign over the money to be used for my brothers daughter but she wants to keep the money. I was wondering if there is any recourse, please let me know.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. My condolences as well on your loss. The answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Ultimately what governs is what is on file with the company. If the beneficiary change never took place, about the only chance you have in compelling such a change is if there is writing, outside writing such as a contract, text, email, and so forth where the grandparent promised a transfer and intended to do so. That is key, intent--and if there was intent and simply not carried out you can try to argue that you have a right to the funds. But if nothing was ever filed, even by error, where you were named, the current beneficiary is entitled to the funds. I am sorry.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.