RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My Father in law passed away in Michigan in January, leaving

Customer Question

My Father in law passed away in Michigan in January, leaving my wife as his sole survivor. My wife has cancer and has a month or less to live.we have not been able to find his will but he has put her name on the car titles and the house papers. What I need to know is if I get her power of attorney in Texas so I can settle his estate, will it be valid in Michigan ? We thought we had more time for her to go to Michigan, but she came down with meningitis.What are my options ?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
You would have to apply here to be substitute executor/personal representative in order to be able to act here for the estate. A POA would not let you assume this you need the court to approve you and issue you new letters testamentary if the probate has been opened.
You can serve both as his executor and hers as well again these are called personal representatives.You will need a Michigan lawyer to help you assume being personal representative.Your wife can consent to this in writing while she is alive so do this as soon as you can.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Michigan probate lawyer referral with ratings.
http://www.avvo.com/probate-lawyer/mi.html
I am so sorry you have had all of this happen.I wish you and your spouse the best here under the circumstances.