Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

My great aunt left a will stating that four remaining cousins

Customer Question

My great aunt left a will stating that four remaining cousins would divide equally in her estate, nothing was to be removed until the four of us were together to share equally, by the time I arrived my cousins mother, who was not entitled to these items, replaced herself as acting person, not the original representative for this estate. This happened in 1988, but I have sound reasons regarding the statue of limitations. Is this worthwhile in proceeding? I lived in Wa State at the time and had a 2 month old, drove from Spokane, Wa to Porterville, Ca, and things were missing,hidden in closets, and then she ignored me. Past away, and no response to my inquiries. Within this time I began fighting with several issues concerning cancer, kidney disease, and spent the past 20 plus years in pain. Can you help me retrieve items that also belonged to my father?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 years ago.
It would be a tough fight if the estate was closed and most likely it has been closed. You would want to check the court file to see if there was an accounting of the items. If for some reason the case is still open, however unlikely, you could demand an accounting. Since your Aunt past away, there would have to be a newly appointed personal representative of the estate to be appointed.