How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42816
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I lived in Tx 2nd marriage he had 4 children

Customer Question

My husband and I lived in Tx 2nd marriage he had 4 children we probated in Texas the house cars and such but he had inherited land from his mother while we were married and this land is in OK. I know it has to be probated in Ok but how will it be divided up. I have heard I get nothing all the way to I get half so I am confused. What does the law say?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here you are correct that Ancillary probate is necessary.This passes under the laws of intestacy if there was no will.

Here is how it will be split.

  • spouse and at least one descendant from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of all property acquired by joint effort during your marriage and splits the remaining intestate property equally with your descendants
  • descendants inherit everything else

So here you get 3/4 and the children split the other 1/4 share.You get the bulk under Oklahoma law.


I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.