How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Grandparent wants to adopt Baby. Baby was born in FL. Dad is

Customer Question

grandparent wants to adopt Baby. Baby was born in FL. Dad is required to pay child support in AL but has no visition agreement and has not been in the picture. Daughter is ok with adopting and we all residide in FL. how do I go about the adoption process?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
FL does not have a specific form for a grandparent adoption, like they do for a step parent. You would need to modify the Petition for Adoption of Minor By Stepparent form by changing the title to Petition for Adoption of a Minor by Relative. See: also see:
You also need an affidavit of consent of the parents and a family law cover sheet.
Most FL courts want an attorney involved in anything but a step parent adoption, because the father has to be served and can object and they want the rights of the child protected. If you cannot afford an attorney, legal aid can provide assistance and it would speed up the process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how do I go about notifying the dad? he hasn't been in the picture and occasionally pays his child suppor.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
To notify the dad, you have to serve him a summons and copy of the petition for adoption if you cannot call him and get him to agree and sign an affidavit consenting to terminate parental rights. To serve him a copy of the petition and summons, you would have to hire a process server in AL, which would cost about $100 or less.

Related Estate Law Questions