Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Wife passed away do I have to pay her credit cards

Customer Question
wife passed away do I have to pay her credit cards
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/15/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
If these are in her name alone only her estate is liable for them.If there are no assets and no probate write the companies and ask them to close out the accounts as she died insolvent here.
This should get them to close the accounts since there is nothing to collect against and no estate is going to be filed.
Only her estate is liable for accounts in her name and here it appears there is nothing to collect against.Once you write them hopefully they close out the accounts and quit hassling you here.
This is the way to try and deal with this if there are no assets and no probate to file against.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Reference
http://people.opposingviews.com/texas-law-paying-deceaseds-debt-7151.html