Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

I was wondering if I could have my son's father sign away his

Customer Question

I was wondering if I could have my son's father sign away his parental rights
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
You can certainly file a Motion to Terminate Parental Rights but a lot of judges don't like to do that, absent allegations of child abuse or something similar, unless there is someone waiting in the wings to adopt. That's because they want the state to be able to "go after dad" if you receive any public assistance for the child such as Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, etc.
However, it is possible. You file the Motion to Terminate Parental Rights and then have the father served and have him sign off on the order, if he agrees. Usually the court will also appoint an attorney/guardian ad litem for the child who has to agree with it as well or at least look into it.