Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If you inheritance is split three ways can one person have…

Customer Question
If you inheritance is split...
If you inheritance is split three ways can one person have his portion left to a corporation to avoid paying back Medicaid bills
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/13/2015
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 3 years ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Hello and Welcome! My name is***** am a licensed attorney. I have assisted hundreds of others with their legal questions. I am happy to help you!
I person can renounce the shares of on inheritance but it would go to the other heirs. If the heir assigns the moneys to a corporation, then it could effect Medicaid reimbursement because the money would have been in the hands of the heir to facilitate the assignment.
The way to handle this is to make a motion to the court to set up a supplemental needs trust to put the heir's inheritance into a trust so to avoid Medicaid penalties.