How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38186
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father-in law passes away in 2000,leaving land to his chiildren

Customer Question

my father-in law passes away in 2000,leaving land to his chiildren of four, two from another and, my wife and her brother, my mother-n-law has been paying the taxes ever sense, my question is if were paying all the taxes can we claim ownership
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Can you clarify the facts for me a bit? You state that your mother in law has been paying the taxes ever since; but then ask if you we were paying the taxes can we claim ownership. Who has been paying the taxes? And, how is the land titled currently? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my mother-in-law / titled i believe its titled in her name /she passed away yesterday trying to see wear we stand
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. If your father in law left the property to the 4 children rather than the mother in law, I'm not understanding how the property got to be titled in the name of your mother in law. I don't think I understand the entire situation well enough to be confident that I can provide a complete and accurate assessment. Therefore, I am going to opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.
Expert:  adamousacom replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. Retired CPA
There are some facts I would need to help clear this up.
If she was on the title with her husband depending on the type of titling joint with right of survivorship or joint tenants in common that makes a difference.
If the land was strictly in your father's name alone and after his passing somehow your mother obtain title to the land that is incorrect. There are procedures you can take to get the land renamed in your name.
Expert:  adamousacom replied 2 years ago.
I have offered you a telephone call. It is a mere five dollars and we can talk as long as is necessary to resolve the event you require legal assistance I will refer you back to law talk after we have spoken as he is excellent
Expert:  adamousacom replied 2 years ago.
It's 921EST
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
New expert here...
Did you still need assistance with your question?
If so, I do need to confirm that you are saying that the deed to the property is in mother in law's name?
And she has been the one paying the taxes all this time?
Do you know if father in law might have left mother in law a "life estate" that just gave her the right to use the property for her lifetime?
There are a lot of unknowns here so we may need to dig a bit deeper into the history to figure out exactly what your wife's position is legally..