Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Money that belongs to 2 adult children of their mother is being…

Customer Question
money that belongs to 2...
money that belongs to 2 adult children of their mother is being held by the executor of that persons will. the executor is deciding if these 2 children should have any or some of the money. there is no trust fund.
this knowledge bothers me but I don't know what to do about it.
thanks
B
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/11/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here you need to locate the probate court and judge where probate is pending.You can ask the judge for distribution of the funds.It appears that the executor is wrongfully holding funds due to the heirs and delaying distribution.
Something like this..
Honorable ***** *****
Address
Estate of ....
Dear Judge Smith,
I am writing you concerning the failure to distribute funds to us as legal heirs.The executor has not fulfilled their fiduciary duties to pay the heirs their inheritance. I or we are asking for a hearing in front of your court to express out concerns here and to have the executor respond to the court about this.We are asking the court to issue orders of distribution or set deadlines to complete this matter and settle this.
We are also wondering if the executor should be removed for these delays and failure to communicate in this matter.Again these are breaches of fiduciary duties as are a basis to do so under Kentucky law.
Sincerely yours..
This will get the matter heard but it also might get the executor to pay to avoid such a hearing in front of the judge and removal.Either way you get what you wanted and deserved here.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Call here to get the address and case number ***** write the judge.
Probate Department
Office of Circuit Court Clerk
Louis D. Brandeis Hall of Justice
Room 3001
600 W. Jefferson St.
Louisville, KY 40202
Get Directions
Phone:(###) ###-####
Hours
Monday-Friday
8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney