Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I would like to know what exactly being a guardian of my mother…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know what exactly being a guardian of my mother entails what are my responsibilities, my rights my duties my powers is it higher that power of attorney can it be shared or is it for one person alone.
Can my mother appoint me or do I have to be appointed by the court. If so how do I go about this. I am in Louisville, ky how do i find a good attorney to represent me?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/10/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Hi and welcome to JA.I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

A guardianship here trumps a POA.It is a court appointed person who has the duties to manage the financial affairs of the ward and make medical decisions for them.Guardianship of adults (sometimes called "conservatorship") is appropriate when the disabled individual is unable to care for their own needs.

It usually involves one person as the guardian of the estate and person.

Reference to the process in Kentucky.

http://kyjustice.org/node/568

Lawyer referral here with ratings.

http://www.avvo.com/guardianship-lawyer/ky.html

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Elizabeth here is more information about guardianship in Kentucky..

http://www.kypa.net/uploads/ThinkingGuardianship.pdf

I appreciate the chance to be of service to you.I wish you the best here..