How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116704
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know what action I can take on this matter. Several

Customer Question

I need to know what action I can take on this matter. Several people have interest in ten acres of land which is forrestry. The person who was suppose to have been paying the taxes, didnt and never told anyone that the Land had been sold in a delinquent tax sale. What charges can I fle against them? and Can I have the Land just put in my name, since I redeem it?
I found the tax statement which stated the Land had been Sold in a delinquent tax sale.... I talked to a Judge and he told me if I wanted to get it what i needed to do. I had to pay back taxes, pay the person back who brought the Land in Delinquent Tax Sale. After I paid all of this back, I did receive something removing that person, who purchased it in tax sale. Should this property have then been put in my name or back in the names of the one who refused to pay the tax and LOST it in the Land Sale? After I got the Land back, the one who lost it, went behind my back, and went to a Lumber Company and Cut ALL of the Timber on the Land and Got Paid.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot file "charges" against them. You can seek to redeem the land if it has been less than 2 years from the sale by paying the buyer of the land the amount they paid in the sale plus their costs incurred and a 5% damage penalty plus 1.5% interest per year.
Once you paid, the next step is you need to file suit against the party who caused the land to be lost for breach of fiduciary duty to the other owners and also for contribution and reimbursement for any profits made from the sale of the timber which belonged to all of the joint tenants on the land.
You have to sue the party and you can demand contribution from all of the other owners on the deed and if they will not pay you their share, then you can get the court to grant you ownership in the land.