RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My father passed away in May. He had a mobile home that he

Customer Question

My father passed away in May. He had a mobile home that he owed around 6,000 dollars on. It is valued at 18,000. I have three sisters who have no problem with me keeping the trailer and the man who holds the mortgage is willing to work with me. What do I have to do since the title is in his name?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.

Here if there are debts you will have to file probate.If it was paid for then you could avoid probate..

Reference to what I am talking about.

http://www.fortenberrylaw.com/florida/transfer-automobile-mobile-home-probate-florida/

Your options would be to pay off the trailer, have him release the lien then you can use the small estate information above or make application for summary administration.

Summary Administration of Estate is generally available only if the value of the entire estate is valued at less than $75,000; and if the decedent’s debts are paid. The summary administration process is also available if the decedent passed away more than two years prior to filing the Petition for Summary Administration.( you will need to wait two years here)

Here is a self help pack to do this.

http://www.sjcpls.org/sites/sjcpls.org/files/media/Probate%20Packet%20without%20Will.pdf

Once summary administration is completed you can take the orders to dmv and transfer title here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.