Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My mother passed away very suddenly three weeks ago.

Customer Question

Hello, My mother passed away very suddenly three weeks ago. She left a will and I am her only heir. My siblings have died and my mother was a widow. I went to the surrogate court in NJ where I live and Testamentary Certificate. My mother owned no property. She only had a checking account with less than $30,000. I closed out her account and am in the process of opening up an estate account. Her credit card debt is much larger than her bank account contains. I have not received any medical bills as yet. I am so confused. What steps do I need to take now. I am concerned to contact the credit card companies for fear I say something wrong. PLEASE ADVISE. Thank you Sandy
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, Sandy. I am a licensed New Jersey professional and will be happy to assist you.
My condolences to you on your loss. As far as your next step, as her executor it is your duty to contact the creditors and inform them of passing, request that they provide a copy of the last full accounting owed to you as the executor, and state that as your mother left little to no money, request to negotiate the debt. Keep in mind that upon passing most creditors will agree to take much less so inform them that the accounts have less than the outstanding balance...and wait for offers. You can at times get them to completely waive the debt, or agree to pay it off at 20, 30, or 40 cents on the dollar. But you have a duty to inform them of the passing and give them ample time to provide you with their final bills.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.