How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 57383
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aunt raided the safe deposit box of jewelry and other valuables

Customer Question

My aunt raided the safe deposit box of jewelry and other valuables that she and my mother kept out of their parents estate to give to the five grandchildren. My aunts brother in law was the executor of the estate and present when she cleaned out the safe deposit box. My aunt now claims she is keep it all safe for us, but she is a drunk and we don't trust her. She will not cooperate with us in dividing up the contenders she stole. What are my rights? If she dies what can I do to recover this property. I have a list of the box contender from my mother.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.
Did the property not belong to her although her name was on the box?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both my mother and aunt were listed on the box when my grandparents were in decline. I believe it is now my mothers box.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
But if aunt name on box legally she could access and withdraw unless there is an agreement otherwise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She and my mother agreed the contenders was to go to the 5 grandchildren during the settlement of the estate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did she have claim to everything in the box because she had access? Irrespective of "ownership"?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Is that agreement in writing or witnessed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would have to find out.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Such evidence is important. Once located can pursue redistribution and court order. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it was verbal between mom and Aunt.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
That helps. Suggest having a lawyer make demand before pursuing a court order.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Verbal between mom and aunt.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
That can be used to recover.