Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother in law has taken my sisters ashes and put them in…

Customer Question
my brother in law has...
my brother in law has taken my sisters ashes and put them in a storage unit with other things and I was wondering what I can do to retrieve them out of the storage unit since they are no longer together.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/4/2015
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry for your loss, and your situation. Can you please tell me:
1) What year did she pass?
2) Did the Will give him the right to make funeral arrangements and to decide what to do with her remains?
3) Or, did she not have a Will?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
the ashes that I put in to ask you about are actually my mom's ashes that my sister has has and my mom passed away 23 years ago.mayor in a little memory keeper vase
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Review Legal Documents. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you.
I am a little confused - so this is your mother's ashes, that your sister was holding on to? And now, your sister has passed. Correct?
I am sorry, but I cannot review legal documents - some experts do not participate in all expert services.
We can continue on this thread, or, I can opt out in favor of someone who can do this. Let me know, please.