How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42808
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a will that is filed, but how do I go about having it

Customer Question

I have a will that is filed, but how do I go about having it probated and how much
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just want an answer. I can't afford more at this time
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
You would need to make petition for probate of testament and to be appointed the personal representative.You will have to attend at least one hearing.This is filed in the parish where the deceased resided.
Expect this to take about 6 months to a year from start to finish.Once appointed you gather assets, pay any claims, file final return, distribute property.
Expect a lawyer to charge you from $2,500 to $3,500 ball park.You may want to shop fees and get one that gives you a flat fee.
Here is a good summary of the process..
You can locate a probate lawyer here, there is referral with ratings.
You can also do this yourself called pro se, here are the forms you need to file.
This will save you legal fees here and allow you to do it yourself.
The lawyer would also transfer any property that is not sold to you if you are the legal heir here under the will.You need to do this to have legal title to any real estate, cars, personal property,etc.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.