Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Richard, hope all is well. I have another issue in

Customer Question
Hello Richard, hope all is...
Hello Richard, hope all is well. I have another issue in regards ***** ***** mothers passing back on December 26th, 2014. I received paper work for 2 small life insurance policies to fill out and return. I have been putting it off as we had another unexpected
death in the family (my little brothers wife). They had there own business so I am now working in the office at their shop which often is very, very sad. Anyway...These two policies are small each being about 3500.00. One of them even less as she had borrowed
on it. My problem is concerning 2 of my brothers and my sister.(it has just been my one older brother and I that have been handling all issues regarding my mom) The paperwork I have to return has to be filled out with their names and social security numbers.
There unfortunately were some bad feelings between my siblings and my mom and dad. They want nothing to do with anything involving this issue. I am not sure what to do. I told them I needed to list them as the paperwork refers to the 5 children. They were
then reluctantly ok until I needed their social security numbers. One of them has already had an identity theft issue but they definitely were not on board with this.( I am pretty sure in moms mountains of papers I could locate their social security numbers
somewhere...she kept everything from the time we were infants :) but I just cant do that.) They didn't have a problem with just the name and address..just no SS#. So, I am not sure where to go from here. I am asking you first as I know sometime these big companies
can make things more difficult than they need to be. I hope I have explained this clearly enough. Thank you for any help you are able to give me regarding this issue. Sincerely, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/4/2015
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney
Hi Pam. I'm sorry about the additional death in your family! You guys have been burdened with more than your fair share of sorrow! I will keep you on my prayer list!
The first thing you will want to do is contact the insurance company and inform them of the SSN issue. In my experience, if there are 5 beneficiaries, they will agree to fund the death benefit for those for whom they are provided SSN's and retain the other proceeds until they receive their respective SSN. If not, ask the insurance company what alternatives they suggest. Let me know how the insurance company responds. Thanks.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney