How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 40993
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Sacrameto, CA. I suspect my estate attorney (in Chicago)

Customer Question

I am in Sacrameto, CA. I suspect my estate attorney (in Chicago) is unethical & screwing me over royal. I have paid him close to $20,000 in fees thus far and I feel like a stooge.
My father passed away on 12-Nov-2014. My mentally ill brother stole a significant amount from the Trust accounts. I immediately consulted the estate attorney who drafted the pour-over will & Living Trust (to be divided between my brother & I) only to mitigate the losses by freezing my brother's person checking account. My brother surrendered most of the money (checks made out to himself) but of course there were attorney's fees, etc.
I am Trustee of this revocable trust which is not irrevocable. I am also the Executor of the Will. The invoices are unclear as to hourly fees and I suspect this attorney is completely dishonest on his invoices. No clarity on hourly fees and other shady practices. My father never told me this attorney & his 40-employee practice are shady but attorney knew about it but never informed me. I am "in bed" with these "thieves" and don't know what move to make at this point.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
You have a couple of options.You can terminate the lawyer and demand your files.He has to give them to you here.You can hire a new lawyer that you trust and seek a new direction.You are not bound to use this lawyer.
You can report him to the state bar.They would investigate and may censure him by reprimand. suspension, even revocation for any misdeeds including over billing.
You do that here.
Fee dispute here..
Trust lawyer referral with new ratings.
I would consider a change here then a complaint and fee arbitration if you want to dispute the overcharges.You have remedies here to resolve all of this.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
I can do extended email but am not able to do phone chats.I will send you additional services for that.No phones at the court house I am here for a hearing.Thanks..