Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband passed he didnt change his benefiary on the policy…

Customer Question
My husband passed he didnt...
My husband passed he didnt change his benefiary on the policy the policy is in his second wifes name she is also deceased so who does the policy go to now all chuleta are grown they had no childern together
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/3/2015
Estate Lawyer: J. Warren, Attorney replied 3 years ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:
(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and
(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
My condolences on the loss of your husband. If named beneficiaries of a policy have predeceased the policy holder, the proceeds of the policy will go to the decedents estate. That means the surviving spouse of the decedent will receive the policy proceeds, but it will require going through probate to obtain the funds. Generally a life insurance passes to the beneficiary without probate, but when there are no beneficiaries it transfer to the estate which requires probate to distribute to the then rightful surviving beneficiary.
All my best & encouragement.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.